Friday 8 July 2011

Getting into it all......

Folk get away from it all, don't they for holidays. Us, um, we do the opposite- we've got into it all. We are off on our holidays(I'm currently ensconced in an English pub) catching up on life. Free wifi, blow me down, in a pub?! We don't get on to the mainland of the UK or into civilisation much, clearly! I'm parked here on my own to let my son and his friend who's with us visit warhammar world (fantasy gaming type strategy place)which they both wanted to come to, the cellist declined, can't imagine why.....! Great for the boys though :) the cellist has her own friend and a couple of dogs to keep her happy!

Excuse the lack of photos (still not mastered the iPad!)I'm enjoying visiting family and catching up with friends, but, relaxing this ain't! I can quite happily say I don't miss shops, motorways, 24/7 convenience, its darn expensive this 24/7 mainland life. To be honest I like that our shops at home shut some of the day, I like the lack of choice at home, supermarkets here are bamboozling with their choice and array of goods. Mind you, petrol here is 23p/litre, no typo there twenty three pence CHEAPER here.

But, blimey aside the overwhelming everything, we are having a blast! Family visits, friends, eating the best ice cream in the world in St Andrews (it really is!!) the cinema in 3d, lunches out, drooling at garden centres, lovely family roast dinners, lolling in the garden, cliff chain walking (will post that up soon, that was awesome!), takeaway pizza, too much food, too much talking and laughing (can you have too much?)and far too much fun! :) terrible isn't it, having too much fun! :)

Despite all the fun and catch ups, I'll be glad to be home into the peace and quiet and lack of choice, even if that means dearer petrol! At least I won't have to overtake lorries on the motorway chanting "there's no place like home". Haven't even managed to see a chicken whilst I've been galavanting - that's a bit sad!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun, but I know what you mean about getting home. I'm finishing up 2 weeks in Washing DC and can't wait to get home to New Hampshire. The ambient noise alone is getting hard to take...it's like a constant roar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that is one of the reasons i enjoy your blog so much. i'm happy for you that you're having a great holiday but there is a lovely peace and quiet where you live and it's always a breath of fresh air to read about the wind, the walks and the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cliff chain walk thingy was fun wasn't it?

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the warhammar days! Can get bloomin' expensive!

    Coming home is always like a holiday in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you on the 24/7 nonsense. I too love that the shops here close no later than 8. The roar of the traffic and the constant hum of factories is something I do not and will ever miss. Glad you are having a good time and really looking forward to the chain walk blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I liked about going to the Mainland was getting my tree fix. I didn't miss trees when I lived in Orkney just when I came sooth and saw them again. Strange.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the free WiFi helped make up for the frenetic and expensive surroundings! At least you got to catch up with people. And then get to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet has it, there. My wife, J, was on the brink of moving to either Lewis or Orkney but decided on Spain - no great difference, especially in weather - a few weeks back. But, she would miss trees! Having previously lived on Skye for a while in the late 1970s, she knows, you know! Still, who knows, maybe when we/if we sell this house.........

    ReplyDelete