Saturday 5 October 2013

The annual beetrool cull 2013

It got to that time of year again when the fish boxes were rampaging full of beets and their leaves.  Whilst pretty, regal and purple (in the main) they're notorious for shooting up to seed in the blink of an eye if left unchecked. Instantly bolting, they also ensure they each turn neatly into mini purple timber nuggets, too woody for a beaver to chew and survive, shrivelled and probably fit only for the fire with their woodyness. So something HAD to be done. And fast. Mr F is a big beetroot fan and he wants his stash for the winter. So who am I to argue, after all I'm only the gardener/cook.
So they've joined the ranks of wedding fodder to be, beets pulled ready for boiling and deskinning - leaves ready to freeze as 'spinach' - aside a bit of a pink stem - you'd never know the difference.  Always twist your beet heads off the leaves - never cut - or they bleed like babies.

I'm tackling the beetroots this weekend - probably chop them into bitesized little chunklets, ready to serve up at our wedding feast, so we'll need minimal preparation when they are called on. Call me old fashioned but I don't think that pink/purple hands and wedding dresses really are the best idea.

Whilst I'm not very fashion conscious, I'm sure I did read that much in a gardening  magazine somewhere. Don't wear a frock and try and tackle beetroot.  And we all know beetroot juice is a bugger to get out of most things.
 
{Post match analysis of species grown in 2013.
The outdoor beetroots frankly came to nothing although sown on the same day. I think it sulked at being put inbetween the shallots. Won't be doing that again. I won't shame their respective species into naming them, for fear they'll hate me. They all got a D minus.
 
Indoor beets (polytunnel) on the other hand worked far better and worth their tunnel space harvesting early August until late September/early October. So Indoors - whilst the Detroit's did very well and the Bolthardy's proved to be just that - the Cylindra gave up the ghost and were utterly pathetic germinating well and then sitting around like a sulky teenager unable to either move, go out or actually do ANYTHING. Burpee's Golden were a little odd but not disheartening in harvest or colour. Although odd, not nearly as unappealing as yellow tomatoes proved to be this year. Just saying. Overall the 'spinach' gained from the patches was great too - and easily pickable as 'early salad' without affecting the crops too much. A good all rounder in the veggie department if a little sulky outside in Orkney.}

9 comments:

  1. My outdoor beets came to nothing too this year but I did get a bunch of cylindrical ones from a friend. I still have the purple tea towels to prove it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst they're pretty trouble free they can be very fickle. Purple tea towels do sound exciting, especially if they were a bit dull before - not of course that I'd ever say that you had dull teatowels Dreamer - I'm not that rude :)

      Delete
  2. have never been abel to grow beetrots, get all happy as see the leaves shoot up , but then not much at all at the root :(

    Sharonx
    www.onelifeand3kids.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that bother with a few of my varieties - you've got to wonder sometimes if they just give up. I know they don't like anything in the way of weed competition or overcrowding. Better luck next time - at least the leaves are tasty.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, your'e doing your own wedding feast too?! Wow! Impressive beetroot haul. My Burpees Golden have been pathetic this year, which is a shame as previously I found them rather tasty, a little sweeter than Boltardy (which I couldn't be without), and really good raw in a salad. Best pick my last beetroot too, though it is still warm here - but I have some rather tasty bread and some nice goats cheese that would go rather well with some roasted beetroot. I shan't wear my wedding dress either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I think wearing wedding dresses and eating beetroot isn't the best idea. Remind me of that in a couple of weeks. WE are doing the wedding grub as we're shamelessly skimpy - when I say we I mean a bunch of us slaves and a very lovely tame proper cheflet person (aka Aunty C). First attempt at Burpees Golden - they seem nice if a bit peerie wallie. Warm bread, goats cheese and beetroot - now you're talking!

      Delete
  4. If I see you eating beetroot in "that" frock at the welliefest, without a sturdy napkin covering your front, I'll remove the plate forthwith! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady you'll have better chance removing my frock than separating me from my beetroot. Good point though - will wear my apron to the home grown knees up just in case. :D

      Delete
  5. Who forgot to put the beetroot out on the wedding table - me. Numpty

    ReplyDelete