Sunday 2 March 2014

Happy valley snowdrops

Now I'm probably not a really big galanthaphile (snow drop enthusiast) but I have to say I do like to go adventuring for them, so maybe I am? Personally I just think I'm a bit flower enthusiast of all types so, adventuring we did go. Orkney has some lovely collections about the county - you just need to know where to find them, if you've a mind. So we popped along to a favourite spot at Happy Valley - more about that at the bottom of this post. Its one of those 'hidden gems' whilst locals know all about it - actually finding it if you're not familiar with it, can be an adventure in itself, as there's nae signs tae it either. 
The hoonds well know the way - and past the bench a bonnie display of snowdrops in the main part of the woods by the house. Peedie always takes the lead. Often followed by his younger companion who's also keen for a neb at a few flowers. They were also most impressed by these wee delights of nodding beauty, although were wondering WHERE the snow was. Did I tell you I had botanically trained dogs? Its true, they can sniff out a decent Acer at a good distance and we get excited here as there's also a Monkey Puzzle tree of quite a height. When we move to the mainland, they''ll obviously need more tree tuition.
Down from the house there's a bonnie wee path that leads to the burn. An old hydro scheme is there, being engulfed by the garden. I rather like the view up this path, although its often punctuated by a fiendish hound.
Along the burn a few more snowdrops but really I'm here to see the trees budding up and listen to the sound of the water cascading down the burn and crashing down a wee waterfall. 
There's few places in Orkney where you can 'hear' fresh water, the sea, of course but a tinkle of a burn, there's fair few places to hear that in Orkney and be under a canopy too. 
And as for my next few steps, it had to be done really didn't it. I mean you can lead a gal to water can't you, but you can't make her behave, or insist that she doesn't use it to wash her posh wedding wellies.
If you're keen for a peek at Happy Valley - more about that great spot here and here. Its one of those 'hidden gems' whilst locals know all about it - actually finding it if you're not familiar with it, can be an adventure in itself, as there's nae signs tae it either. Although I've been here for 13+ years, I frequently get lost too. But its on the road directly opposite the sign to the Ring of Brodgar (crossroads) and its Grid Reference is HY327105 if you're keen, anyway back to that exploring. Its also in the Orkney Woodland Walks Book which you should be able to download from this LINK written by my rather clever chum Jenny, who's off adventuring in sunny climes, not that we're jealous obviously, we're too busy splashing!



1 comment:

  1. Ooh, Happy Valley! I'd completely forgotten about it - I went there as a child, probably about 1991. The old man was still alive then, he invited us into his house - it was like stepping back in time 50 years!! Thanks for posting this, looks like it hasn't changed much over the years :)

    ReplyDelete