Monday 28 May 2012

Selkies in our midst?

I think all the Orkney sunshine has gone to my head, I've had a theory that the dogs, well Haggis inparticular, might actually be selkies. Haggis is a big fan of the sea, something that Peedie normally won't really go into, but these days, not to be upsurped by a puppy, he's enjoying the paddling more. Which got me to thinking, can dogs be selkies as well as, well, selkies. So with this mission in hand, we headed for the beach to see if we had a selkie in our midst. Turned out I was wrong. As we paddled deeper and deeper, nothing happened except we got wet and Haggis revealed his rather long legs. Well long for a cairn terrier, who's not a selkie, of short stature that is. 
Turns out I'm not a selkie either. Which I have to say is a bit of a pity as I really like fish. Don't be too blinded by the sunshine (or my bare legs), we've in the midst of a spell of rather nice weather at the moment so we had to check out the temperature of the sea. Icy but not too bad.

7 comments:

  1. as a fellow 'orange', I like to think we are more related to the "Orang Pendek".
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me giggle! Thanks for the humour! I'm sure Mr F will agree with your proposal!

      Delete
  2. Fanny Adams! ha, ha, I just love this blogging thing, I wonder if her boyfriend is weerie wullie. Well anyway I digress, steepin yer feet in the cauld water with Haggis, that's brave. Mind you it has been very warm. Forecast has generally shown Aberdeen at 15c, naw not true, its been bilin, 21/22c. Always learning, I hang my head in shame, I didn't know what a selkie was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bilin here too Alistair Min, very queer. I didnae steep them fir tae long in feart that me taes would be so cauld they'd freeze and braak richt aff Loon! Selkies I dinnae ken o' either til I moved tae Pomona. Learning something new is always braw. (I do like a good chat in scots!)

      Delete
  3. I remember a wonderful children's book about selkies, with entrancing illustrations. For my library diploma, that was the only review the lecturer was happy with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your lecturer must have been a fan too! Thanks for popping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your water looks so pure and clear. it's gorgeous. i think i'd be tempted to stick my toes in too especially with that glorious sunshine. the coast of Scotland is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete