Sunday 23 March 2014

On kindness

Kindness of friends made this wonderful table setting on several tables for our wedding - how beautiful is it? I'm truly grateful for their time and efforts.
A deeply gorgeous good morning to you all. Apologies for the quietness, I hope you'be been enjoying the peace from my rambles. Life's kindaway's meandering along, potentially the calm before the storm of relocation. But, truth be told I've missed you all terribly. Honest injun. And, I know that photo isn't really 'spring' but a celebration of autumn kindly put together for our wedding table settings from friends of all shapes and sizes all very KIND.

Over the past months, in fact years, I've been lucky to be the recipient of random acts of kindness, (just like the one displayed and captured above). In all shapes and forms, and whilst I'm lucky I know, it still takes me aback. I try to be kind in my daily life, not sure if I do as much as I can but I do need to try harder. This past few weeks have been no exception and yesterday in particular I've benefited from the kind acts or kind words of strangers and friends. I count myself very lucky. But, how is it that when anticipating our days, we don't often (well I don't) factor in KINDNESS as something that might occur. I make contingencies for all the things that could GO WRONG, all the conflicts I attempt to side step, but I never, ever anticipate how life might go each day with a simple kind word or act. 

Is that a reflection of stubborn self sufficiency on my part, or a guarded toe into a society I often don't understand. Yesterday was especially high on the 'kind-o-meter', a stranger popped over to say hello and introduce themselves, which really made my day. Friends and colleagues really pulled together, giving up precious time to provide support at an event and the banter was grand. And a complete stranger, who'd been busy with their own commitments, was kind, helpful and smiled like the world was a beautiful place. We'd both been the subject of a miscommunication and I donned my superhero cape (OK, so it LOOKS like an apron, shh don't tell), rushed over and tried to 'smooth' the waters over. Turns out that actually he was very adaptable and instead of looking to a culture of blame, he embraced the changing circumstances and smiled widely when I arrived offering to help make things OK.

'Life's to short for a culture of blame, I quite enjoy the chaos of life and the opportunities it brings with each challenge.' He said.

How refreshingly true is that. A cup of tea later and a lovely blether saw my day start wonderfully due to kindness of a stranger and it continued in that ilk. 

I wonder sometimes why I fear the worst and plan for every single contingency. Perhaps I'm just not use to relying on kindness everyday. That's not a severe statement of guarded emotion, merely a reflection on my own inner canniness. Perhaps I need to be more open to a bit of random chaos and the potential kindness life may throw at us.

I appreciated life yesterday, very much. The time taken, the kind words, the efforts and the friendship. I try to be kind and thoughtful too, I'm not sure I always manage to seem so wonderfully laid back about it all, but I should really try and express it more. Being kind, not exactly rocket science is it, to improve someone's day.

A huge thank you for yesterdays kind living and blethers and friendship - for those who take the time to help others and for those new people who take the time to say hello.

6 comments:

  1. every time I read your blog I finish with a tear in my eye - you are a very ind person with a huge heart, sensible head and stubborn independen streak that is gradually calming down, whatever you do Mrs McB never change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Green Fairy Mary - you're very kind (with an equally independent streak!) and gorgeous chickens :) Thanks very much

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, I think random acts of kindness are smashing. The giver often receives a buzz as big as the recipient.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Twiggy - kindness is smashing isn't it. Thank you for popping by.

      Delete
  3. Thats beautiful, really beautiful. I too hestitate to *rely* on kindness, but without doubt its a crucial part of our lives. How lovely to meet a stranger who can say it all like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan - very true words. Two kind strangers in one day and several kind folks splattered throughout it. Life can't really get much better!

      Delete